Saturday, April 13

Things Above and Things Below: Greater and Lesser, Obedience and Openness

Reflection given at Hillhaven Nursing Home in Silver Spring, Maryland (04-27-17)
When I was a little boy, my Dad and I used to go out in our backyard with our telescope and look up at the stars in the night sky. It was so beautiful! I still do that sometimes, when I can. I would always watch movies and shows on television about the stars, the planets, the moon and the whole universe. And I don’t know about you, but I always had a hard time thinking about all of these things that are so much bigger than anything I’ve ever experienced or seen with my own eyes!

When we are children, everything seems so big. Even now, it feels like our world is so big, there’s so many people, so many places, so much stuff! And when we look up at the stars, they seem so small, like little push-pins in the night sky. From our point of view, everything on earth looks big, and everything in the sky looks small. But maybe God is asking us to consider looking at everything from a different perspective.

Now, in the Scriptures, we find John the Baptist saying “he must increase and I must decrease” (John 3:30) - talking about Jesus - or we could say “he must become bigger, and I must become smaller.”  The more we let Jesus increase in our lives, the more we become the people God wants us to be. But to let God work, become bigger and increase in our lives, God is asking us to be obedient, just as Peter says in his letter to the Jewish leaders. What did Peter mean by “being obedient?”

Well, there is a story about St. Francis of Assisi. One time, he took some the brothers who had just joined him out into a garden and gave each of them a turnip. He said, “I want you to dig a hole,” and they all dug a hole. Then he said, “Now I want you to put the turnip in the ground with the green part down and the point sticking up.” One of these brothers spoke up and said, “Brother Francis, everyone knows that you don’t put a turnip in with the green part down.” And Francis said, “This wasn’t a test of whether you understood gardening; this was a test of your obedience.” So Francis sent him home because there was no room for a brother who could not be obedient to his other brothers. He was trying to teach this new brother the meaning of obedience.

So when we listen and obey the words Jesus gave us, the Gospel tells us that we look at everything differently. It’s like walking around a big city like New York City where everything seems so big, but when you get on an airplane and you look down at it, that big city looks very, very small. And when God gives us that new and different perspective - then we start to know what the Gospel meant when it talked about “the one who comes from above is above all.” But you know what? God is very big but he made himself very small to live with us and be one of us.

All our lives we try to be big. We want to grow up. We want to have a bigger home, a bigger job, a bigger impact. There is something inside of us that makes us want to be BIGGER AND BETTER. And that’s good. But how? What’s the right way? What’s the Gospel way? Well, if we ask Jesus, the one who came from above and also lived here below with us, and we listen and obey Jesus, he told us what to do: be small. Be humble and you will be great!

May the Lord give you peace.

20 comments:

  1. Hey! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist with Search
    Engine Optimization? I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm not seeing very
    good success. If you know of any please share. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I've been following your site for a
    long time now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and
    give you a shout out from Atascocita Texas! Just wanted to tell you keep
    up the fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are a group of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our
    community. Your web site offered us with valuable information to
    work on. You have done a formidable job and our whole community
    will be thankful to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome article.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got this web site from my pal who shared with me concerning this web page and now this time I am visiting this web page and reading very informative content here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When some one searches for his necessary thing, thus he/she wants to be available that in detail, so that thing is maintained over here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good.
    I don't know who you are but definitely you're going to a famous blogger if you
    are not already ;) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you ever considered about adding a little bit more than just your articles?
    I mean, what you say is fundamental and everything. However think about if you added some
    great images or video clips to give your posts more, "pop"!
    Your content is excellent but with pics and video clips, this blog could certainly be one of the best in its
    field. Excellent blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good post. I learn something totally new and challenging on blogs I stumbleupon everyday.

    It's always exciting to read content from other writers and use something from their web sites.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Inspiring story there. What happened after? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What's up to all, how is the whole thing, I think every one
    is getting more from this site, and your views are pleasant in favor of new visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, after reading this amazing article i am as well glad to share my experience here with colleagues.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there Dear, are you genuinely visiting this website regularly, if so afterward
    you will without doubt take fastidious knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi there, I want to subscribe for this website to obtain newest updates, thus where can i
    do it please assist.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for every other great article. The place else may anybody get that
    kind of info in such a perfect method of writing? I've a presentation next week,
    and I'm on the search for such information.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am really loving the theme/design of your weblog.
    Do you ever run into any browser compatibility problems?
    A few of my blog audience have complained about my site not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great
    in Firefox. Do you have any recommendations to
    help fix this issue?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Unquestionably believe that which you said. Your favorite reason seemed to be on the internet the simplest thing to be aware of.
    I say to you, I certainly get irked while people consider worries that they just do not know about.
    You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as
    defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people could take a signal.
    Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, wonderful blog structure! How lengthy have you ever been blogging for?
    you make blogging glance easy. The overall glance
    of your website is great, as well as the content material!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Please let me know if you're looking for a article author for your site.

    You have some really good articles and I believe I would be a good asset.
    If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd
    really like to write some content for your blog in exchange for a
    link back to mine. Please blast me an e-mail if interested.
    Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do accept as true with all the ideas you have introduced to your post.
    They are very convincing and will definitely work. Nonetheless, the
    posts are very quick for beginners. May you please lengthen them a bit
    from next time? Thank you for the post.

    ReplyDelete